The Apprentice Electrician program is excellent for those individuals who have an interest in expanding their knowledge as it relates to their individual trade.
Apprentice Electrician students in the State of Utah will receive training in national and state codes, material requirements, practical mathematics required in the trade, and other essential subject areas.
The Apprentice Electrician program is composed of two parts: (1) on-the-job training provided by a sponsor who exposes the apprentice to practical applications in all phases of a particular craft, and (2) classroom-related instruction designed to provide the apprentice with knowledge of theoretical and technical aspects of their craft. The total completion of an apprenticeship program will take up to four years, depending upon the level of licensure.
Bridgerland Technical College provides classroom-related and supplemental instruction for the Apprentice Electrician program. Bridgerland Technical College neither provides on-the-job training nor acts as a sponsor for apprentices. Individuals must locate their own sponsors. For individual industry-sponsored programs, a student should contact their employer’s training director or the Apprenticeship Office. For additional information concerning the Apprentice Electrician program, please contact our apprentice office.
Courses are divided into two 90-hour sessions beginning in August and ending in December, then beginning again in January and ending in April.
This program supports the Bridgerland Technical College mission to deliver competency-based, employer-guided career and hands-on technical education to the Bear River region.
Apprentice Electrician must register for licensure through the Utah State Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing, www.dopl.utah.gov
- Students will learn the requirements necessary to apply for professional licensure through the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL).
- Students will successfully identify the different types of electrical circuits and power.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of Ohm's Law.
- Students will learn to read and interpret construction drawings.
- Students will learn to identify batteries and other sources of electricity.
- Students will learn to define successfully all classes of hazardous locations, including seals, components, and equipment approved for use in various hazardous locations.
The following are requirements for obtaining an Electrician License:
- Apprentice Electrician requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age (16 years if registered through the United States Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship https://www.apprenticeship.gov ) at the time of application.
- Obtain a sponsoring journeyman (employer) for your apprenticeship.
- Complete and submit a Licensing Application for Apprentice Electrician: https://dopl.utah.gov/el/ and pay the licensing fee.
- Utah Residential Journeyman Electrician Requirements:
- Complete two years (4000 hours) of On-the-Job Training and 360 hours (4 semesters) of education as a licensed apprentice.
- Apply for and pass the Utah Residential Journeyman Electrician Exam with a minimum score of 75%.
- Journeyman Electrician Requirements:
- Complete four years (8000 hours) of On-the-Job Training and 720 hours (8 semesters) of apprentice education as a licensed apprentice.
- Apply for and pass the Utah Journeyman Electrician Exam with a minimum score of 75%
Downloads: Information for Apprentice Electrician
To increase the opportunity for success in Bridgerland Technical College Apprentice Electrician program, students must take Bridgerland Technical College’s assessment test prior to enrolling in the program. This is a WorkKeys Assessment: Applied Math (4), Graphic Literacy (4), Workplace Documents (4). Schedule an appointment here or call (435) 750-3188. Need a review? Enroll directly in Academic Learning.
Please Note: A composite ACT score of 17 or a composite SAT score of 930 can waive assessment requirements if taken no more than four years prior to enrollment.
For additional information on occupational profile, please click here.
The words career and job are very different. To be specific, a job is what you show up to for work; a career spans your lifetime and includes your education, training, professional memberships, and is something you love doing.
Winter Registration Begins January 2, 2023
|Class Name||Class Date||Time||Code||Cost|
|Apprentice Electrician 1||Jan 3 - April 13 (Tues & Thurs)||6 - 9 pm||APPR 2012 01 LC||$335|
|Apprentice Electrician 2||Jan 4 - April 17 (Mon & Wed)||6 - 9 pm||APPR 2022 01 LC||$335|
|Apprentice Electrician 3||Jan 3 - April 13 (Tues & Thurs)||6 - 9 pm||APPR 2032 01 LC||$335|
|Apprentice Electrician 4||Jan 4 - April 17 (Mon & Wed)||6 - 9 pm||APPR 2042 01 LC||$335|
The Utah State Approving Agency for Veterans Education approves Bridgerland Technical College and its programs for payment of VA education benefits. If you are a Veteran of the armed forces (or other eligible person) and believe you qualify for VA education benefits please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.
Students are required to pay tuition and fees prior to starting the class.
720 Hours - 4 Years
Hours per Week
New Apprenticeship students start in August.
License required for Journeyman level - State of Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
Apprentice Electrician is an independent apprenticeship program and is not accredited by the Council on Occupational Education (COE).
A Little About Bridgerland Technical College
The mission of the Bridgerland Technical College is to deliver competency-based, employer-guided career and technical education to both secondary and post-secondary students through traditional and technology-enhanced methodologies. This hands-on technical education provides occupational education, skills training, and workforce development to support the educational and economic development of the Bear River Region.
Get In Touch
Careers at BTECH
View Our Site
1301 North 600 West
Logan, UT 84321
Brigham City Campus
325 West 1100 South
Brigham City, UT 84302