The Cosmetology program is designed to prepare students for employment in cosmetology/barbering, hair design, and skin and nail care. This program prepares students for employment in a salon and/or to open a new salon business. Students in this program develop communication, professional behavior, and the core skills of working in a salon business. Students work with salon guests in a well-equipped salon and perform these skills with the newest techniques, products, and equipment in the industry. Students learn to communicate with customers; analyze skin, hair and nails; and perform the duties of hair cutting, coloring, styling, chemical texture services, and basic skin and nail care. This program includes 1600 clock time hours of instruction as required by the State of Utah for licensure. Upon completion of the program, students are prepared to take the National Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology/Barbering Licensure, and examination required for licensure.
- Complete 1600 clock hours.
- Demonstrate principles and cosmetology/barbering skills: shampooing, styling, men and women haircutting, straight razor shaving, hair extensions, chemical texture services, hair coloring, skin care, nail services, and other concepts essential to becoming a successful cosmetologist/barber.
- Demonstrate principles and practices related to nail technology skills, manicuring, pedicuring, gel, and acrylic application, manual and electric filing, polishing, client consultation, and other concepts essential to becoming a successful nail technician.
- Explain general sciences related to cosmetology/barbering such as anatomy, infection control, hair structure, skin and nail, diseases and disorders, chemistry, and electricity.
- Demonstrate salon processes and etiquette with sanitation procedures necessary for the health and safety of clients and workers.
- Perform cosmetology/barbering services on mannequins and public guests.
- Communicate effectively with salon guests and coworkers.
- Demonstrate communication through electronic, verbal, and written formats.
- Prepare for state board licensure examinations and licensing for the State of Utah.
- Obtain CPR certification.
The following are requirements for obtaining a State of Utah Cosmetology/Barbering License:
- Successfully complete the 1600-hour program.
- Obtain the “Verification of Hours” required by the Utah Divison of Occupational and Professional Licensing stamped by Bridgerland Technical College, signifying successful completion of courses and passing the final test with at least a 75% on the theory portion and a 90% on the practical portion.
- Score a minimum of 70% on the State Board Exams issued by Prov, Inv.
We have a campus salon at our Brigham City Campus where the public can come get a haircut, color, facials, manicures, and more! Call for an appointment today at 435-723-5329.
WorkKeys Assessment: Workplace Documents (Level 4), Graphic Literacy (Level 4), and Applied Math (Level 4). Schedule an appointment here or call (435) 750-3188. Need a review? Enroll directly in Academic Learning.
Please note: A composite ACT score of 17 or a composite SAT score of 930 can waive assessment requirements if taken no more than four years prior to enrollment.
Individuals must apply to the program with our digital application after filling out the admissions form and taking the assessment.
For additional information on occupational profile, please click here.
The words career and job are very different. To be specific, a job is what you show up to for work; a career spans your lifetime and includes your education, training, professional memberships, and is something you love doing.
This program accepts students utilizing a competitive application process. Please contact SSA's for questions about this program.The first step is to fill out the Bridgerland Technical College admissions form Brigham City Campus Application
Pre-Enrollment: WorkKeys Assessment: Workplace Documents (Level 4), Graphic Literacy (Level 4), and Applied Math (Level 4). Schedule an appointment here or call (435) 750-3188. Need a review? Enroll directly in Academic Learning. Please note: A composite ACT score of 17 or a composite SAT score of 930 can waive assessment requirements if taken no more than four years prior to enrollment. Please email your ACT/SAT scores to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not have your scores, schedule your assessment below. Schedule Appointment in Logan If you need to schedule for the Brigham City Campus, please call (435) 750-3188 or email email@example.com to schedule a remote testing appointment.
Click here to access digital application: Application
Estimated Tuition & Fees
Course fees may vary.
Pell Eligible: Yes
Estimated Monthly Payment:
Hours per Week
A Little About Bridgerland Technical College
The mission of the Bridgerland Technical College is to deliver competency-based, employer-guided career and technical education to both secondary and post-secondary students through traditional and technology-enhanced methodologies. This hands-on technical education provides occupational education, skills training, and workforce development to support the educational and economic development of the Bear River Region.
Get In Touch
Careers at BTECH
View Our Site
1301 North 600 West
Logan, UT 84321
Brigham City Campus
325 West 1100 South
Brigham City, UT 84302