The Media Design certificate is designed to provide students with the training necessary for entry-level employment in many different areas of media design, including computer graphics, digital publishing, web design, and multimedia. The certificate can also be used as training to start small businesses in photography, videography, freelance design, or as preparation for further education in marketing, journalism, and product design. Students will progress through the self-paced curriculum while receiving one-on-one help from experienced instructors. The curriculum used is heavily project-based and focuses on media design concepts, best practices, and software tools used by industry both locally and nationally. All classes are computer use intensive, and competency-based.
Students who successfully complete this certificate will:
• Create and edit raster graphics using industry-standard software
• Create vector graphics using industry-standard software
• Demonstrate the application of design principles, color theory, and font use
• Edit digital media of various types
• Design and layout pages for advertisements, brochures, and business branding
• Understand and explain issues of digital media ethics and copyright law
• Perform employment skills suitable for professional drafting workplace standards
Complete Introduction to Media Design (MDSN0995). This 30-hour course introduces students to the fundamentals of media design. Introductory concepts will be covered such as basic media design terms, typography, imagery, color theory, design techniques, and internet technologies. The class also introduces students to various career options in media design, as well as the procedures and methods of the Media Design Program for certificate seeking students.
• Understand basic design principles.
• Define typographic terms.
• Explore how to select appropriate typefaces.
• Identify how to choose imagery and imagery sources.
• Define basic image terminology.
• Obtain an understanding of basic color theory.
• Understand and identify the impact of color in design.
• Demonstrate an ability to use the Internet.
• Identify basic web elements.
• Outline specific areas in the design industry.
• Research and outline what opportunities exist in your geographical area.
For additional information on occupational profile, please click here.
The words career and job are very different. To be specific, a job is what you show up to for work; a career spans your lifetime and includes your education, training, professional memberships, and is something you love doing.
Bridgerland Technical College is open year round. Most programs are open-entry, open-exit, which means you can start the program at the first of every month as long as there is space available. Please contact SSA's for questions about this program, or check start dates.The first step is to fill out the application for Bridgerland Technical College Logan Campus Application
Once the pre admission course Introduction to Media Design (MDSN0995) has been successfully completed, students will work with the Media Design Department for a start date.
Estimated Monthly Payment:
Estimated Books & Supplies
Hours per Week
A Little About Bridgerland Technical College
The mission of the Bridgerland Technical College is to deliver competency-based, employer-guided career and technical education to both secondary and post-secondary students through traditional and technology-enhanced methodologies. This hands-on technical education provides occupational education, skills training, and workforce development to support the educational and economic development of the Bear River Region.
Get In Touch
View Our Site
Careers at BTECH
Hours of Operation
Logan Campus - Main
Monday: 8 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday: 8 am - 6 pm
Wednesday: 8 am - 6 pm
Thursday: 8 am - 4:30 pm
Friday: 8 am - 4 pm
Brigham City Branch Campus
Monday: 7:30 am - 4 pm
Tuesday: 7:30 am - 4 pm
Wednesday: 7:30 am - 4 pm
Thursday: 7:30 am - 4 pm
Friday: 7:30 am - 3 pm
Logan Campus - Main (Office)
1301 North 600 West
Logan, UT 84321
Toll Free: 866-701-1100